Monday, March 14, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Received a St. Pat's card today from a friend in Canada. I have a surprising number of friends with Irish origins. Of course I can't tell until they let on themselves. The Irish have gone far and wide. Here is the link to the beautiful card. Not sure how long it will remain at the site as ecards usually expire after a while.

I responded to her in an email thus,

What a beautiful card with Irish scenery. However I always find the beautiful land of Ireland mixed with sadness. I thought of the potato famine, the abuse by the church on minors, the emigration because of the harsh times, the hated British rule and finally the present mess the government and banks got the country into. Can't they ever do anything right? Her people suffer, got scattered to other nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment