Friday, May 6, 2011

On the eve of Polling Day

On the eve of polling day, I am reminded that I am not happy to mark a "X" on any of the choices. I think government here has gotten too big and intrusive. Personally I would prefer a smaller government. As the economy and society get more complex, the government is just simply not equipped to support or provide services well. Solutions often have to be customized but the bureaucracy seldom has the flexibility or empowerment. They suffer from disabling red tape arising from the overwhelming need to account for every tax payer dollar spent. As a result many people at the lower end falls through the cracks, while the rest of us find government offerings ill fitting.

It is not in the PAP interest to shrink the government. Again party interest trumps national interest. It is so myopic, they do not yet realize. As government solutions miss their targets and/or become incomprehensibly complex, they will have many occasions to apologize for mistakes. The PM has recently led the way. Better sent all senior civil servants and ministers and MPs for "apologies training". I am sure they will need it soon.

On George Yeo's offer, I think unless the PM and cabinet are motivated to change, GY cannot pull it off. It is a tall order. It is not going to be marginal change but a total transformation. Will they be able to make the scary choices. I doubt it. IBM had done that under Lou Gerstner, but the man didn't come from inside the company. Even if they are really determined, I doubt they can carry everyone. They will have to leave some behind. Certainly I cannot imagine the MM who had remarked about "live to repent" going along. As his son said, the MM is MM. If they transform themselves the MM either relearns or loses relevance.

Few people think there would be a freak outcome come May 8. I know anything that is possible is possible. We cannot consult and persuade each other on the outcomes we desire before casting our ballot.

I also asked myself if I had been fair with my views, praise and criticism of the PAP and the opposition parties. You know how easy it is to get it wrong observing from afar. Unfortunately this is an inescapable feature of the system for choosing leaders. The PAP was supposed to help mitigate this risk markedly with their selection system. I am disappointed with what they were able to throw up.

Politics not be too cynical can never be admirably clean or praiseworthy. Occasionally we enjoy a rare exception, e.g., England's William Wilberforce campaign against slavery. In this elections, no party has offered to move toward a more transparent government. Too few voters are mature enough to appreciate its value.

Tomorrow I shall have to make a choice between two ugly choices. I wonder how many would be casting protest votes. Fools will find it all very exciting and wagering money over something so serious and solemn. I can tell from the unusual amount of traffic to my entry, "Bookies call on GE 2011" I hope they will leave me alone after the GE. After all I am only blogging for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Please read and forward. Thanks!

    http://thinkformesingapore.blogspot.com/2011/05/open-letter-to-mr-lee-hsien-loong.html

    ReplyDelete