Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book: An Expose on Teen Sex and Dating: What's Really Going On and How to Talk About It

It has taken me a while to read this easy to read book which I had given to my daughter. She finished it long time before I did.

I have always appreciated Navpress. As a young believer, they provided the resources for my grounding.

This book may be "ahead of its time" for our local situation. I hate to put it this way because the trend is clear. One day, many of us as parents and grandparents are going to have countless heart breaks as a result. I thought it is already true for some of my older friends with kids old enough to make it so!


Although I agree with the thinking behind this book not just in theory but in practice too, I think unless God intervenes massively, there shall for the moment be more defeats and tears than victories and rejoicing. In a way it is the verdict of the hypocrisy of the earlier generation - they were disobedient in secret, and sometimes the lid came off and it spilled out. The evil fruit ripens in their progeny's generation.

But the Lord's grace is ever present even if it is invisible to many. The author recounted the words of one wise old lady. She said:

“If the journey God has my kids on is crooked, damn me for trying to make it straight!”

Not many people can appreciate the wisdom of these words. Too many have to learn it the hard way. Let me try to help it along by saying this: Can you imagine Samuel as the irresponsible parents? What sort of boys did God give him? Useless and corrupt which led to the people asking him to give them a king! For the Lord's ways are beyond us (Isaiah 55)

Do your part, live the exemplary life but whatever will be, will be. What the kids become is in his hands. Just keep in mind the story of the Prodigal Son. Whatever the life story, his grace is sufficient.

Philosophically Taoist isn't it? Our faith is big enough to encapsulate this and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment