Friday, June 3, 2011

I need Khaw Boon Wan's example to bring balance

Good thing I didn't have to try too hard to look for something like this. I have been lampooning the ministers, which in my view were well deserved for lacking common sense. But there is a big problem. As a Singaporean, what do I gain running down my own leaders? That's stupid. To bring balance, I have found a Minister who usually show common sense and compassion - he tries to be a good Buddhist. I totally disagree with how he allowed the two new hospitals here to be named though.

See his latest blog entry on cats. Completely sensible. A smart politician, he is now building political capital which his party has so clueless-ly squandered. He will need it later when he has to roll out some unpopular policies.

Politicians please remember, most voters cannot understand the complexities and rationale of policy making. Most people think with their feelings, something which LKY in his long life never seem to learn. You have no choice but to honestly (I am afraid too many would be dishonest) help your voters have a good impression of you or you cannot even give away goodies without arousing suspicion! That is the short term.

In the long term voters must get more educated, informed and sophisticated. And the most important thing is keep increasing government transparency so that the media and elites outside the organs of power can also serve as a responsible check. The more people are in the know the better. In unpredictable ways, we will allow and evolve some version of, "The Wisdom of the Crowds" for us. That would be reinventing and making Singapore special again.

No comments:

Post a Comment