Saturday, June 18, 2011

The missed story of John the Baptist











As I blog about this book, it is still $0 at Amazon for Kindle.

I saw this book listed many times and ignored it. I thought it was just one of the many works of fiction I have no time for. I didn't know it was a story weaved around John the Baptist.

If you are a successful Prosperity Gospel believer, you can avoid this book. Very unlikely you would be able to identify it. But if the life of Job was meaningful to you, this is better than the Job's story.

Around Chapter 16 is where it begins to hit you hard and the author keeps repeating Christ's words,

“And blessed is he who is not offended with me.” 

John died a heart broken man. This is the book to read if you keep asking why does a good God allow so many people to die in the Tsunamis. Why do bad things happen to good people. If you encounter God and cannot understand. This is the book.

No wonder, this John was chosen to prepare the way for the Messiah. I am totally mixed up in its cruel beauty. I can't decide.

"All they will ever know in this lifetime is that I did not come to them in their hour of greatest need. Today they, like all others, have met a God they do not understand" 

Beginning with the person who had introduced me to Christ, I cannot even bring myself to ask her if she still believes....unless your life is so protected and CS Lewis had something powerful to say to that in, "The Four Loves", it is a matter of time you will need to understand John's life.

From the great CS Lewis:

To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket — safe, dark, motionless, airless — it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.




No comments:

Post a Comment