Thursday, June 21, 2012

iPad versus the PC (Tough choices...or are they?)

I just got off the phone with my ex boss. She spoke to me about this article from last Saturday paper. I thought I had read it but I wanted to find out for myself. I have two choices. Go to the ST website or the iPad app. I chose the latter. And here are my thoughts on the choice.

Steve Jobs and team design of the iPad was just brilliant. It was much harder to touch type this pic in an email to her but the ease of hunting down this article exceeded the chore of touch typing.

Similarly I never go to NEA weather site on the Web for the weather forecast any more. I look it up on SG Weather using my Android phone.

Apple blazed the path to the future. Johnnies come lately try to copy and quite successfully too. If the insight leading to Apple's innovations are not needed for creating insanely great products, Apple will have dogs biting its heels pretty soon.

Content websites on the Web are turning into losers. The PC needs new ways to access Web content (social media perhaps) and the mobile devices insist that content must be served differently, which turns out to be more intuitive and accessible. This is a big problem for Facebook which is stuck in the older paradigm.

Finally my response to her on Leslie Koh's article,

Well to me Leslie missed the point. It was never about reason. It's all emotional and an extreme example among the leaders is Lim Hng Khiang faux pas on women's hairdo. They just don't get it. You must successfully connect. You can reason till kingdom come to no avail.

The problem can be framed very simply. Just be open minded and find a way to carry the people with you knowing that reason alone does not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment