Monday, December 17, 2012

Tan Cheng Bock's Late Teacher










































Screen captured this last night before going to bed. Tan Cheng Bock and his classmates were very fortunate to have such a teacher. Teachers today would be hard put to do the same given how controlling (KPIs lah) the school system has become. My two kids were fortunate to have had the opportunity to be taught by the same teacher who had recently won the President's Award for Teachers. I can easily see how this teacher wouldn't be able to do what the late S Ratnagopal had.

My secondary school teacher gave me the gift of life by sharing the Gospel with me. This is not possible today. Up till the 80s there was more religious freedom and tolerance. Those growing up today do not know what we have lost. They think we have done very well but the reality is we have backslided.

What is happening today but you must not get caught are teachers having underage sex with their pupils. In those days we thought nothing of visiting our teachers' home alone. My teacher took me under her wings to school me in the basics of the Gospel after I believed. There were only two of us in an empty house. Nothing funny happened.

Trust in our society is eroding and we have no idea how it could be rebuilt. Even as we have become very rich we are also pathetically poor in the values that had built our wealth. We were too impatient to arrive here.


No comments:

Post a Comment