Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Three deaths in a short time

I chided my daughter last night for failing to tell me early that her classmate's father had passed away. She is a China scholar from Harbin. Not the same one we went out of our way to help get a Kindle for. She must be totally devastated to lose him and not to be there when he died.

For many parents any time is a good time to teach the kids but there are also many of us who wait for the the right moment. Earlier I had pointed out to her the article on the poet Boey and rue how inward looking so many writers are. How hard it is to teach a child to love. How hard it is for God to teach us too. Since we just discussed 1 John 4 on Sunday, I pressed my point quite hard. Didn't help the situation when preachers like Pastor Lawrence Khong were straining at gnats when you consider how he had missed the elephants in the room. Turmoil from toxic relationships and sexual sins in many professing believers' families is a hugely greater threat than the repeal of 377A. He didn't fare too well raising his own children. He has no credibility here. Fortunately given God's incredible grace he can work wonders without personal credibility. Nothing can stop him. I often hear many good things about Touch Community Services.

How many of my friends's kids have abandoned church. It is not just an American problem.

Death had been on my mind for the last 48 hours. A friend in Seattle just lost her husband. It appeared easy to cope for her because the marriage was bad. She said she had made her peace with him. I hope so. Another friend in Ontario lost her brother. He was 65 years old. There is a common denominator in these two deaths: the flu epidemic raging right now in North America. It had hit my friends in Indiana very hard. Thankfully everyone recovered. Another family living outside DC seemed totally unscathed. We don't even discuss this. A non issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment