Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Going Fiber Broadband?

IT Show is only days away and I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to high speed broadband.

I have so little confidence in our three Telcos, Singtel, Starhub and M1 (Just check out their Facebook pages and read the vitriol against them). Here I am reluctantly setting aside time to decide if I should switch to Fiber Broadband and I am worrying over one darn device: the Optical Network Terminator Modem. What if this ONT modem kaput? My own experience tells me I can't assume they will be able to replace it quickly.

The last time my ADSL modem broke down twice they told me after the second one was used, they could only spare me an old reconditioned one with limited range. I took it, tried it, flabbergasted and went out to buy my own modem cum router. Problem solved in a couple of hours. I might not be so fortunate if the ONT modem were to stop working, and it will eventually in our heat and humidity. We are not getting military grade equipment mind you. All the manufacturers are building their devices for temperate climates.

Therefore I guess I will be sticking to my current arrangement unless and most unlikely they allow me to keep a spare ONT modem. What if I offer to pay for it?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm..you are wrong.I was one of the 1st subscribers to fibre ( Oct 2010 ).First with M1 and then with My Republic. Absolutely no problems with ONT .

    Had a problem once with M1 ( their router failed ).It happened on the week my mother passed away.A few calls to M1 and their rep showed up at my apartment a few hours later with a new router!

    By and large , fibre is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete