Saturday, April 20, 2013

Good bye Huang Wenyong

RIP Wenyong. Left too soon. I don't follow TV8 programs any more but I loved his role as Ah Shui from the 80s. Then SBC produced good quality dramas and participated in nation building without being cheesy or preachy.

The newspapers tomorrow is likely to have pages of this stories and many eulogies from colleagues and friends. People like him were pioneers and role models to those who came after.




Update: April 22

It wasn't loss but erosion. It was unnoticeable but if given enough time the loss become recognizable and grievous. That is what 雾锁南洋 has brought home for me. I have become less Singaporean and more global citizen. I am losing my moorings. Anomie is here, a word I never thought I did use again since a short course in sociology all engineering students had to take then.

May be it takes a while, but for those of us who are old enough, a part of us dies when wenyong died. Of course wenyong being a loyal employee at SBC, TCS and then Mediacorp had to toe the company line. He also lost it after he was remade for other roles, but death released the ghosts to live again and ghosts do not die.



This tells me very powerfully I am not alone.










From last night's Star Awards. I haven't followed for as long as I could remember



Update: April 22 1:30pm

The lyrics for 'Awakening'


人世间曾有多少离合悲欢
生命中曾有几许无奈沧桑
雾起在南方 雾落在南方
朝阳可曾藏心坎

过去的记忆你是否已经遗忘
祖先的流离可曾使你惆怅
雾起在南方 雾落在南方
重重迷雾锁南洋

望远方天水茫茫
浓雾中何处是家乡
向远方冲过险滩
浓雾散见我新家乡

过去的记忆世代不可遗忘
祖先的流离使我生命更坚强
雾起在南方 雾落在南方
重重迷雾锁南洋

带希望努力垦荒 带理想开拓新家乡
用希望换取希望 用理想创造新理想

充满信心向前望
不必迷惘 黑暗到了尽头
就会出现曙光
雾起在南方 雾落在南方
朝阳一出迷雾消


No comments:

Post a Comment