Saturday, April 6, 2013

SG Conversation: Now the Sacred Cows

I hope I am not holding out for too much to think that the phase two of the SG Conversation would be more useful. The government have finally concluded that this national conversation would be a waste of time if they did not allow the sacred cows to be publicly examined. Of course they will take this opportunity to persuade us that they are right. It is their job and duty to try but that would probably prove to be an impossible task. They have to go deeper to the level of values, beliefs and assumptions. They have to understand that many of us do not buy their dogmas. Also they need to show the people that they are one with them. The affective divide remains.

Yes, I just convinced myself that I am holding out for too much. Forget about the SG Conversation as I had with phase one.

The PAP is stuck in yesterday when their dogmas were born. I agree with Raja but that was a different age. People could get jobs and the society was more equal.

What PAP ministers fail to do is to learn from Keynes,


“When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”


Until they do, the only thing they understand is votes and that is a very risky and painful way to talk to them.

Right now, I rather spend my time reading Robert Sidelsky on Keynes than listening to our ministers. These aren't the large minds that could explain the world to me like those of Raja's generation could. I have to go and look for answers myself. Why do we pay you so much and yet have to do the work ourselves? These days if they don't attract me with a good sound bite, I tune them out very quickly because I don't want to waste my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment