Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Angelina Jolie: Making Beauty Part 2

As usual I was going through my long list of unread mail and it was NYT's turn. What's the news from them today. I often scrolled down to the bottom first to see the op-ed. There was the first one by Angelina Jolie - an unusual contributor. When did she started to write for NYT? I was impressed. So I clicked on it but I was not prepared for what she was going to share.

I was stunned. This woman has courage. The first thing I did after I finished reading was to forward it to an ex-colleague fighting breast cancer.

I decided to have a blog entry on her tonight but I couldn't find my earlier post on her. A search on her name returned nil and it was only after I dug into the Picasa album that I found the date I wrote about her. It was almost a year ago under "Making Beauty"

Before locating her in my blog to write this post, I was was scrolling through the endless news feed on my Facebook as per my habit. I spotted news about her again, no doubt caused by her NYT op-ed. Yahoo appeared first and later ST.

Note what Yahoo did to preface their story..."I can tell my children they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer".


Compare this with ST. I would give Yahoo 10 and ST 0. Yahoo News get it and ST is showing its boring professionalism - no passion or empathy. That superficial, play it safe but wrong this time by the news line.



I think her work to the women and children in the Third World has given her that courage and even as she grows older, she is growing more beautiful. 

I once saw a photo of an older Audrey Hepburn among children as she was an UN Ambassador for UNICEF. She was really beautiful. Beauty is skin deep until you give it away and it reappears inside you to live forever. That takes faith and courage. Any day give me beauty you can feel and use for others than just silly and superficial eye candy. 


Update: May 19 2:00pm

I mostly agree with Ignatius but I never bothered to write about concerning Angelina Jolie. I saw the first Tomb Raider and didn't bother with its sequel. I watched Mr & Mrs Smith where she co-starred wit Brad Pitt on the plane and gave up even before the middle was reached. She only grew on me when I begin to notice her humanitarian work.




No comments:

Post a Comment