Friday, June 7, 2013

Beginning of cost reversal in education

Wonderful opinion piece by Andy Kessler for the WSJ.

The timing is perfect and it is all serendipity for me. I alluded to this very briefly in Can the Public Service up its game? and The un-Americanizing of America's School System.

This is very interesting to me, which I didn't have a convenient opportunity to write about earlier.

I was in my 20s, and my friend representing AIA was trying to get me to buy an education policy for my future kids (Can it actually be done?). His argument was the price of a university education is going to the sky. At the very least it is outpacing inflation by a huge margin ever year. An education policy with AIA was the smart and right way to go. I never bought his argument. I told him we would have a huge political problem that the government is forced to solve long before we get anywhere near unaffordable for most. For many years college tuition kept galloping up but I knew it must eventually hit a brick wall and reverse. Those days are very near and couldn't come at a better time - I have no idea when the reversal would come then but I knew we are likely to be able to afford to send our kids to university.

I have much more to write but it is slow and difficult unless I get the chance to ride on another person's work and add to it. Another time perhaps. Today is already a very good day. I got this one and the post by Barrie (thank you) earlier on.


No comments:

Post a Comment