Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Haze: Getting back to normal

It is difficult for life to return to normal when you keep wondering how the haze situation might develop. The mind cannot advise because it feeds on information and there isn't enough. Even those who are best placed to know do not. E.g.,  Ah-gong WhyUdonno. I see many people responding emotionally including those who ought to know much better. We all saw them on display like peacocks. Now they look so stupid. I don't think they are so stupid to spew more dumb statements.

Too many of us are hoarding N95s making it difficult for calmer people like myself to get them. I am also not anxious enough to try harder. I understand not everyone has as much freedom of movement as I do. Some are just forced by their duties and obligations to go outside.

Good for Vivian B. I was beginning to wonder what is the Dengue situation. To me his talking about it is the turning point that we are getting back to normal life as much as possible. However I am not as ready as those who have gotten their N95s. One of my daughters' school  informed us through multiple channels that she will be getting N95 from the school when it reopens. Exams have also been rescheduled. I expect N95s would be made available to secondary schools and above. Primary schools are a problem as the masks are likely to be too big especially for the lower primary students.

A crisis is too valuable to be wasted. This is a godsend but not wished for opportunity for the government to build trust. The initial response to the crisis was clearly imperfect but I realized this is the case nearly everywhere. There is enough time and opportunities to do better. I have canceled my Amazon order for N95s. Let's see how easy it is to get them here and also those air purifiers. I have to dust off the big one we bought for the kids back in 1997. Hope it is working. Then the haze blew over before we could even switch it on.

Now that SBY has apologized, would the Indonesian accept our help to put out those fires? They are doing a terrible job. In one day the number of hotspots almost doubled. SBY must know but in his apology he didn't go as far as I had hoped. Never mind, he could accept our help as quietly as possible.

This haze is on my mind to the point of distraction because of the Indonesian ministers' unhelpful attitude. Time to return to what I am supposed to be doing. Look at the number of posts I have made on this topic!

This tiny nation will come out stronger from this crisis. I am quite sure about that. It is also easier to tell those who criticize the government hoping to see improvement from the simply scoffers trying to bring it down.


No comments:

Post a Comment