Thursday, October 17, 2013

Parenthood Journeys by our Govt

I saw that this was copyrighted by the government of Singapore. There were two clips, one each for mom and dad.

This one for mommy is more popular.



This one for dad


I don't know how many young people would be persuaded but my experience was of my father often telling me how difficult life would be for the next generation and my mother showing no interest for any grand kid. Well in my simplistic way I thought the community of families would be more influential and successful to persuade us to have kids. If they had been more supportive it would really help. And I think one of the most important influence toward having kids perversely could be your company and immediate boss. My boss refused to grant me leave for my first child was born and so I just walked out of the office. How many people just thinking about work pressures and demands are already exhausted with the thought of having children much less really having them? Chan Chun Sing was right to say stop adding the sums and just go ahead - We finally did just that, but I am sure many, far too many do nothing. Therefore as the demand of the workplace grows and more people are on call 24/7, the TFR of 1.24 looks set to go lower and the number of pet dogs and cats to go up.

At the end of the day you must choose what you want. Only a few can have the cake and eat it and this is due more to fortuity than ability. Some of them are so irresponsible to preach that is not true since like investment management and trading, people love to attribute their success as their talent and hard work rather than simple luck. Only the wishful buy that and there are far too many of them since nearly everyone think themselves better than they really are.

Historically the most powerful reason to have children are economic ones. We must also not forget that for much of mankind's history many children must be born because easily half or more of them will die before reaching adulthood. If human nature hasn't changed then love is a weak reason for too many people to be persuaded to have children. We are the first generation facing a declining birthrate. Understandably we haven't understood this developing tragedy well enough when in the first place we hate to see ourselves in such selfish economic terms, i.e, we are in denial.

William and Kate have a baby prince as soon as they got married. This is unusual in modern British society but their duty is not love first but producing the next king. My point is love is the last reason for having children even if rightly it is the only reason if families are not to fail at the numerous trials of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment