Sunday, October 6, 2013

Republican Tea Party Shameful Blackmail

Finally we have a journalist who is honest and courageous enough to tell it like it is - the treasonous behavior of the Tea Party.

For days I have been telling myself with lawmakers like the Tea Party, Al Qaeda does not need do anything more to do America in.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor had a far greater impact on people's consciousness than the hit on the financial system triggered by the Lehman failure. Warren Buffett tried to tell people how serious the financial crisis was by comparing it to Pearl Harbor then but I think too many people do not get it. Now Nicholas Kristof had also to resort to a military metaphor to press the point with readers and I hope far beyond.

As usual I like it best when someone gives me the words. Here from the man himself:



SUPPOSE President Obama announced: 


Unless Republicans agree to my proposal for gun control, I will use my authority as commander in chief to scuttle one aircraft carrier a week in the bottom of the ocean.
I invite Republican leaders to come to the White House and negotiate a deal to preserve our military strength. I hope Republicans will work with me to prevent the loss of our carrier fleet.
If the Republicans refuse to negotiate, I will be compelled to begin by scuttling the U.S.S. George Washington in the Pacific Ocean’s Mariana Trench, with 80 aircraft on board.
In that situation, we would all agree that Obama had gone nuts. Whatever his beefs with Republicans, it would be an inexcusable betrayal to try to get his way by destroying our national assets. That would be an abuse of power and the worst kind of blackmail.
And in that kind of situation, I would hope that we as journalists wouldn’t describe the resulting furor as a “political impasse” or “partisan gridlock.” I hope that we wouldn’t settle for quoting politicians on each side as blaming the other. It would be appropriate to point out the obvious: Our president had tumbled over the edge and was endangering the nation.
Today, we have a similar situation, except that it’s a band of extremist House Republicans who are deliberately sabotaging America’s economy and damaging our national security — all in hopes of gaining leverage on unrelated issues.
Read the rest at NYT: Governing by Blackmail

No comments:

Post a Comment