Monday, December 16, 2013

Little India Riot: Why only burn govt vehicles?


And the top responses


  • Jean'ie Peac'ie Just fyi. Free ice-cream is not a campaign, it started wayyy before the riot... many students are aware. It was reported on ST before, just that not many notice since people think distributing ice-cream to workers do not make much sense? But please understand that was a little gesture in showing our appreciation to workers whom have been helping us alot! 
    Like · Reply · 45 · 9 hours ago via mobile
  • Suriya Narayanan that's y i love Singapore !!!! u r always gr8.. lucky to be here !!
    Like · Reply · 35 · 9 hours ago
  • Ravi Sanker If dont appreciate...shut up...dont be scarstic with ur comment...
    Like · Reply · 25 · 9 hours ago via mobile
  • Francis Fromhell Overall they are nice n peaceful people. Ask them for help or talk to them, u will find them friendly.
    Like · Reply · 25 · 9 hours ago via mobile
  • Mohsien Hanafi So many people saying negative things about this act. Ask yourself, when's the last time you actually genuinely volunteer for something good? Or because of all these money chase your heart has turn cold, always thinking "me myself I" all the time? Seriously how can we create a compassionate society if we ourselves are being cold towards another human being.
    Like · Reply · 20 · 6 hours ago
  • Dorothy Ang I dun understand all those ppl who post negative remarks when ppl do good things...! Why???? Do you realized that this migrates are very poor thing , they leave their families and work really hard here, they are human too..I always feel for them cos many are exploited. Some work n get not enough rest.. Whether which country there are from, respect them please...!
    Like · Reply · 17 · 8 hours ago via mobile · Edited


And that is why, and I can only guess given the dearth of information plus I am not a regular at Little India why only Police and SCDF vehicles were targeted by not private vehicles and businesses.

Come on, as far as I can tell all my neighbors treat the foreign workers working as cleaners and gardeners here well. I treat the guy who wash my car exceptionally well. I pay him early and I give him bonuses too. Many years ago when I lived in Pine Grove, the Indian fellow who washed my car would tell me he would be keeping an eye on my vehicle whenever he learned that I was outstation. I had an Indian guy who also washed my car in Dubai and he was very expensive and a lazy fellow. I had to threaten to fire him a few times.

We are fortunate that the xenophobes among us never go beyond talking. I am reminded that among the FWs there are many quite literate and IT savvy too. They can read and understand what we write on Facebook. I also recall years back they came to install the optic fiber cable at my place. Those Indian workers who look like any Indian laborers were actually knowledge workers when I saw them take out their equipment, punch buttons etc., I was happy when Han Fook Kwang also discovered the same and wrote about this fact in Sunday Times yesterday.

I don't know, but the Home Team should ask themselves how they treat these foreign workers. I have seen many  times how them questioned them from a distance before. I can't hear what they say but I could see the Indians looked somewhat scared and the body language of the Policeman displayed dominance especially with their arms akimbo. Policemen do not talk to citizens like that. In fact I think our police officers are even trained to cope with scoldings by us!

What the COI report may not be as interesting as what it chooses not to. Parts of their work had been preempted by ministerial statements and you know the culture of this place, which is you do not embarrass the ministers. It is bloggers like us who do not care. We continuously seek the truth despite the many mistakes we can't avoid.





No comments:

Post a Comment