Saturday, June 14, 2014

Miscreants on eBay

Far too many Chinese merchants on eBay are mastering the art of half-representation. I don't want to accuse them of misrepresentation, which they are as we outside China would understand. It is more meaningful to see this from their perspective and learn how to deal with them. Let's not forget that China footprint can only get larger. Increasingly they will call the shots regardless if we are happy about it.


I bought this yesterday because the price was right and the item in located in Singapore. Furthermore the merchant has one of the top reputation on eBay (like I said, the Chinese have learned to game the system). They cannot defeat eBay but they know how to get an unfair edge against other traders as they are more creative than most of us.

When I noticed they failed to email me about my purchase, I chased them. They came back quickly with the following and my response.


Why 35 days? That is an important number of days in the eBay system. I have been there with one other Chinese merchant before. They know the eBay system well.

It was a numbers game. They recognized me as an experienced buyer and quickly refunded me the money. Super fast! Meanwhile they go on to prey on others.

Can I complain to eBay? Yes, through jumping countless hoops and only to discover that eBay would not be interested to look at such practice. However as more Chinese merchants cotton to such bad habits, eventually eBay will have to act. That's just business.


No comments:

Post a Comment