Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Too expensive to find the truth this way


I got this off my daily messages from NYT early this morning as evening headlines. Item 1 and 2 were just flip sides of the same thing. GOP Congressman Jim Jordan, a member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee was questioning Cecile the president of Planned Parenthood.

When I was younger and had no children and plenty of discretionary time, I thought this contentious approach of surfacing the truth had great merit. Now that I am more like most people, I think we cannot afford the time or energy for this. I had complained in my posts how difficult it was to unearth the truth about AIM, AHPETC finances etc.,

They tell lies to advance their agenda even go as far as to set the other side up to discredit them. The technology for fabricating lies today is more advanced than proving the truth. This is making things really difficult.

Then I thought about the restraint Lawrence Khong had shown but not Rony Tan. The latter was invited for kopi with the ISD and the former has more judgement and stayed clear of that but not well enough to have MOM step in over the sacking of a pregnant employee in his church. I wonder if we didn't have our laws if there would be no shortage of people trying such time wasting methods to confuse, tire us and emotionally take advantage of us to advance their agendas. Think Roy Ngerng and Han Hui Hui. Fortunately most Singaporeans know which side their bread is buttered.

2 comments:

  1. A few good men

    With strong hands

    But who watch the watchmen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your point is excellent, "who watch the watchmen?" That is why I started out believing in checks and balance. I still do but provided and we keep trying to make it work for us. What we see in other countries us will not work well but the public reaction to the Pop. White Paper was instructive to all of us.

      I am losing faith in the WP to check the government in parliament. I think citizens will have to figure this out, organize ourselves in unique ways not yet invented to do this. I don't know how yet but we must figure a way. The present situation is too risky.

      Delete