Sunday, January 7, 2018

Anticipated Spectre and Meltdown cyber threats


I didn't know the two threats would be called by those names, much less how they exploited the vulnerabilities at the architectural level. What I knew was the designers and builders of our systems exceeded their knowledge when they certify our systems to be safe. There is no fail safe way in computer science or engineering to build a completely secure computer. Safe means the builders can't imagine how security is compromised until it does.

For a while now, I have been using a separate PC to do my Internet banking. In fact beginning from yesterday this PC would be reset to factory condition every time the free McAfee security software expires. At the end of the day, I don't need to be totally safe which is impossible. I only need to be much safer than most others. Like in the safari, it is the weakest and slowest which become prey, so I only need to make sure my systems are stronger and far exceeding my attractiveness to criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment